Election Rules of ProcedureOctober 20, 2016
ASSOCIATION OF AFRICAN UNIVERSITIES
ELECTION TO THE GOVERNING BOARD
(2017 – 2021)
- Nominations for election to the positions of President, Vice-President and Member of the Governing Board of the Association of African Universities shall be invited from members of the Association in accordance with the Association’s Constitution and Bye-Laws.
- Only serving Executive Heads of members of the Association in good standing, and physically present at the General Conference, are eligible for election as President, Vice-President, Members or Alternate Members of the Governing Board
- Beside the election of the President and three Vice Presidents, the General Conference elects eleven Members and eleven Alternate Members of the Governing Board for a term of four years.
- Members of the outgoing Governing Board who have held office for two consecutive periods between General Conferences are not eligible for re-election as Governing Board Members.
- The outgoing President is not eligible for immediate re-election.
- The President-nominee and the Secretary-General shall not come from the same country.
- Nominations shall be submitted in writing by the Executive Head of an AAU Member in good standing (not more than two years in arrears of membership subscription payments) and sent to the Secretary-General of the AAU, prior to the General Conference in June, 2017.
- All nominations shall include:
a. brief curriculum vitae of the candidate
b. signed letter of commitment to serve the Association.
- Nominations for election to the office of President or Vice President shall be seconded by at least five (5) duly accredited representatives of members in good standing, who shall have secured the consent of the candidate and who shall not nominate more than one candidate.
- All other nominations for election to the Governing Board shall be seconded by at least two (2) duly accredited representatives of members in good standing, who shall have secured the consent of the person nominated.
- The Elections Committee shall vet the nominations from the valid candidatures and, in consultation with the regional caucuses, propose candidates for election.
- Where necessary, the Governing Board and the Election Committee may take measures to solicit additional nominations.
- In the election of the President, the Vice-Presidents and Members of the Governing Board, regional representation and gender balance shall be taken into consideration.
- Voting, when necessary, shall be by secret ballot. Each Member in good standing, and having a duly accredited representative actually present, shall have one vote. A representative may not exercise more than one vote despite the number of Members she or he may represent.
Deadline for Submission
- Duly accredited representatives of members of the Association in good standing shall be invited to submit their candidacy or make nominations in writing for election to the office of President or Vice-President of the Association no later than 15th May 2017.
- Accredited representative of member institutions seconding candidates for the various positions are also to send separate Letters of Consent no later than 15th May 2017.
All documents should be send via email to the AAU Secretary-General (firstname.lastname@example.org, and copy email@example.com) no later than 15th May 2017.
Please click to download the nomination form